As you know, 2020 will be a busy year with three elections:
- Presidential primary, March 3, 14 Democratic candidates on the ballot — choose one.
- House and Senate primary, June 9.
- Presidential, Senate, House election, Nov 3.
Here in Virginia’s First Congressional District, two candidates have announced their intention to run for the Democratic Party nomination to face incumbent Republican Rob “Donald Trump clone” Wittman in November. These two candidates are:
Vangie Williams, who ran against Wittman in November 2018 and earned 45% of the vote. Vangie’s website.
Kevin Washington, a newcomer to politics who announced his candidacy recently. Kevin’s website.
We will invite both candidates to speak with us at upcoming meetings. We also anticipate several candidate debates where these two — and any other Democratic candidates — will have the opportunity to meet with First District Democrats and discuss their positions on issues.
There will be three elections in Northumberland County in 2020 (along with the rest of Virginia). The schedule for 2020 elections follows below.
To check and ensure that you are registered to vote, visit the State of Virginia Dept of Elections website. Click on the link to REGISTRATION at the top of the page.
IF YOU HAVE MOVED OR CHANGED YOUR NAME SINCE THE LAST ELECTION, contact the county voter registrar to update your information.
March 3, 2020: Presidential Primary
The purpose of this primary election is for both parties to select their candidate for the November 3, 2020 Presidential election. As of mid-December 2019, there are fourteen candidates on the Democratic ballot. There will NOT be a Republican Presidential primary because Virginia Republicans will hold a convention in June to select their Presidential candidate.
Here is the schedule of events leading up to the March 3 Presidential primary.
- Absentee voting, both by mail and in-person, starts on January 17, 2020.
- The deadline to request an absentee ballot BY MAIL is February 25, 2020.
- The deadline to register to vote or to update your registration is February 10, 2020.
- Last day to vote absentee in person, at the registrar’s office, is Saturday, February 29, 2020, 4:30 PM.
June 9, 2020: Senate and Congressional Primary
Virginia Senator Mark Warner (Democrat) and First Congressional Representative Rob Wittman (Republican) must run for re-election in the November 3, 2020 general election. A primary election will be held on June 9, 2020, in which the parties will select their candidates for these two seats. Depending on Democratic and Republican Party decisions, there may/may not be a primary for both seats.
Here is the schedule of events leading up to the June 9 Senate and Congressional primary.
- Absentee voting, both by mail and in-person, starts on April 24, 2020.
- The deadline to request an absentee ballot BY MAIL is June 2, 2020.
- The deadline to register to vote or to update your registration is May 18, 2020.
- Last day to vote absentee in person, at the registrar’s office, is Saturday, June 6, 2020, 4:30 PM.
November 3, 2020: President, Senate, House of Representatives General Election
In addition to the President, Senate, and Representative election, there may be a proposed amendment to the Virginia Constitution on the ballot for this election.
Here is the schedule of events leading up to the November 3 President, Senate and Congressional election.
- Absentee voting, both by mail and in-person, starts on September 18, 2020.
- The deadline to request an absentee ballot BY MAIL is October 27, 2020.
- The deadline to register to vote or to update your registration is October 13, 2020.
- Last day to vote absentee in person, at the registrar’s office, is Saturday, October 31, 2020, 4:30 PM.
- IMPORTANT: Effective with the November 3, 2020, election, Virginia will permit voters to vote early by simply going to a polling place, showing identification, and voting — no absentee ballot application is required. Early voting for the Nov 3 election will be on October 24, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, and 31. More details as they are available.
On March 3, 2020, Virginia will hold a Democratic Party Presidential Primary to chose our Party’s Presidential candidate. The candidates will appear on the ballot in this order:
Candidates for the 2020 Democratic Presidential Primary
1. Cory Booker
2. Julián Castro
3. Bernie Sanders
4. Elizabeth Warren
5. Marianne Williamson
6. Michael Bennet
7. Joseph R. Biden
8. Amy Klobuchar
9. Tulsi Gabbard
10. Deval Patrick
11. Pete Buttigieg
12. Andrew Yang
13. Tom Steyer
14. Michael R. Bloomberg
It is important that all Democrats turn out to vote — because — Virginia has open primaries. That is, anyone can vote in the primary — Democrat, Republican, Independent, no party affiliation. We know Republicans will vote in the Democratic primary hoping to choose a weak candidate to face Donald Trump in the November 3, 2020 Presidential election.
DEMOCRATS MUST VOTE IN THE MARCH 3, 2020, DEMOCRATIC PRIMARY ELECTION !!!!
On Thursday, December 19th, your Democratic friends are gathering to celebrate our success in the 2019 election. Stan Scott will be attending as well as our local Supervisor, Jim Long. You will have time to analyze the past and discuss the future.
PLEASE MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND RSVP TO THIS EMAIL. WE NEED TO GIVE THE CATERER THE EXACT COUNT.
Cordially Invites You to Our
6:00pm -9:00 pm
The Women’s Club of Northumberland
2928 Northumberland Hwy. Lottsburg, Va.
BUFFET DINNER WILL BE SERVED
BRING AN UNWRAPPED CHILDREN’S’ GIFT FOR TY’S FRIENDS.
CHECKS SHOULD BE MADE PAYABLE TO:
Mail to c/o Kitty Creeth
281 Lancelot Dr.
Reedville, VA 22539
Questions please call Kitty at 804-453-5859
The next meeting of the Northumberland County Democratic Committee will be:
- Thursday, November 21, 2019
- 7 PM
- Northumberland Public Library, 7204 Northumberland Hwy, Heathsville.
We have invited some of the candidates from the recent election to discuss the results with us. Also, we will discuss the results, implication of results, irregularities at the polls, what went right, and what went wrong.
The Nominating Committee will present a slate of officers for next year. You are encouraged to get involved in the process.
The most important Virginia election in years is right around the corner: November 5, 2019.
Virginians have the opportunity to escape from the dead hand of Republicans by electing Democrats to the General Assembly.
Here in Northumberland County we have two excellent candidates:
STAN SCOTT for State Senate, District 4
FRANCIS EDWARDS for House of Delegates, District 99
In local Northumberland County races, the Northumberland County Democratic Party recommends you vote for:
Supervisor, District 1: James “Jimmy” Brann
Supervisor, District 4: Thomas “Tommy” Tomlin
Supervisor, District 5: Joann Blackwell — write-in candidate. On your ballot, fill in the small rectangular box next to Write In, and, in the dashed line below, carefully print: JOANN BLACKWELL.
Sheriff: Peyton Waller
The Northumberland County Democratic Committee October meeting will be:
Thursday, October 17, 2019
Northumberland Public Library, 7204 Northumberland Hwy, Heathsville
Bring a snack to share and join us at 6:30.
We have invited several candidates who are running in the November 5 general election to speak to us and answer questions.
Also, we need volunteers to work at the polls on November 5, supporting Democratic candidates, or, candidates we have endorsed. Volunteers will hand out campaign literature and sample ballots as well as talking with voters about our candidates.
Our Democratic Party neighbors in Lancaster County invite us to attend their upcoming events.
Lancaster Dems general meeting is Monday, August 26 at the Lancaster Community Library. Social at 6:30, business meeting at 7:00. Meet Justin Williams, field organizer for the VA Dem Party. We will be organizing our plans for this year’s very important election.
Other important dates:
- Wednesday, August 28; 6 – 8 PM, canvass training at the library
- Monday, September 2, 4-7 PM, Labor Day Picnic at the Masonic Lodge on Goodluck Road.