Northumberland Democratic Party, next meeting:
Thursday, February 15
Northumberland Library, 7204 Northumberland Hwy, Heathsville
7:00 PM; bring a snack to share at 6:30 if you wish
Executive committee meeting at 5:45 PM
Joe Schlatter will repeat an updated version of his presentation on Russia, to include (1) the impact of geography and history on Russia; (2) the impact of the collapse of the Soviet Union; and, (3) Donald Trump’s relationship with Russia.
The four Democratic candidates for Virginia’s First District Congressional seat will appear at a candidates’ forum where they will address the audience and answer questions.
First Congressional District Democratic Candidates’ Forum
Thursday, Feb 15
St. Clare Walker Middle School
6814 General Puller Hwy
Locust Hill VA
- Edwin Santana — Stafford County
- Ryan Sawyers — Prince William County
- John Suddarth — Hanover County
- Vangie Williams — King George County
Moderator: Sheila Crowley
Send questions for consideration to: email@example.com
Directions from Kilmarnock:
- Take Highway 3 south to White Stone
- Continue on Hwy 3 through White Stone, cross the Rappahannock River south of White Stone
- Continue on Hwy 3 about 3.75 miles to intersection with Hwy 33, General Puller Hwy
- Turn right onto General Puller Hwy
- Go one mile on Gen. Puller Hwy to the school on the left
January 10, 2018,
This is official notice of the Reorganization of the Northumberland County Democratic Committee. On Thursday, January 18, 2018, our local party will disband under party rules. We will elect officers for the next two years. All members in good standing will be allowed to vote and participate in this process.
Doors will open at the public library in Heathsville, VA at 6:30 pm and close at 6:35 pm. Each member will fill out a loyalty pledge prior to participation. An official slate of nominees will be presented by the temporary chair of the meeting. Nominations will be accepted from the floor. Voting will take place and the new officers will reconvene the official meeting at 7 pm.
Frank Kober, Chair
Northumberland County Democratic Party
Our first meeting of the new year is January 18, 2018, 7:00 PM, at the Northumberland Public Library — bring a snack to share at 6:30 PM.
Our guest speaker will be Ryan Sawyers, one of five Democrats vying to challenge Rob Wittman for the First Congressional District seat in the House of Representatives.
In the First Congressional District, we currently are represented by Republican Rob Wittman. As of mid-November 2017, five Democrats are vying to challenge Wittman in November 2018:
Santana and Williams have met with us previously and now two other candidates are scheduled to address the Northumberland County Democratic Party:
- January 18: Ryan Sawyers
- February 15: John Suddarth
Tom Hicks will address us later.
On Saturday, December 2, the 1st Congressional District Democratic Committee voted to select our 2018 Congressional candidate by means of a primary election.
The Committee’s number one goal was to allow the voters of the 1st CD to make their choice. This means that to be successful, every candidate will need to work hard to get out the vote and build a coalition that can win not only the primary, but also the General Election in November 2018.
The Virginia State Board of Elections has not yet announced the date for the 2018 primary elections, however, the primary will be in June, probably the week of June 11 – 15.
In November 2018, Virginia voters will select our representatives in the US House of Representatives as well as one of our two Senators.
House of Representatives, First Congressional District
In the First Congressional District, we currently are represented by Republican Rob Wittman. As of mid-November 2017, four Democrats are vying to challenge Wittman in November 2018:
Santana and Williams have met with us previously and now the other two candidates are scheduled to address the Northumberland County Democratic Party:
- January 18: John Suddarth
- February 15: Ryan Sawyers
Virginia US Senators
Tim Kaine, one of our two Democratic senators, will stand for re-election in November 2018. While we do not have a firm date, Senator Kaine will be at a joint meeting of the Northumberland and Lancaster Democratic Parties in March. Watch this website for details.
Please join the Northumberland County Democratic Party at our Annual Christmas Party to be held:
- Friday, December 1
- At the Women’s Club in Lottsburg, Virginia, near Allison’s Hardware on Route 360.
- The BYOB event will start at 5:30 PM. Dinner will commence at 6:00 PM.
The menu will include Steamed Shrimp, Chicken and Roast Beef (well done and rare).
Tickets are $25 each which is the total cost of the event. Please remit your check:
- Payable to the Northumberland County Democrat Party
- By November 24
- Mail to Ms. Kitty Creeth, 281 Lancelot Drive, Reedville, VA 22539, Phone 804-453-5859.
We are saddened to report the death of one of our long-time active members. Bob Lindsey died Saturday morning Oct 28 at VCU as a result of injuries sustained in a wreck last week.
Bob’s wife Barbara Shine will need our support.
There will be a memorial service later; we will keep everyone informed about the details.
With less than three weeks before the election, Northumberland Democrats are asking for your help. We are canvassing and phoning during the lead-up to the November 7th election. We need help in canvassing and phone banking as well as help on election day at the polls.
If you can help, contact Chairman Frank Kober.
If you cannot help with canvassing, phone banking or as a poll worker, there are other actions you can take to help:
- Please contact at least ten of your family and friends to vote on election day.
- Support Ralph Northam for Governor, Justin Fairfax for Lt. Governor, Mark Herring for Attorney General, and Francis Edwards for Delegate.
- In our local elections, support Jim Long for Supervisor in the Third District.
- In the School Board races, the Northumberland Democratic Party endorsed Mary Hooper for School Board, Second District.
- While the Northumberland Democratic Party didn’t endorse in the Third District School Board race, I personally recommend Gerald Howard for reelection to this seat.
The Northumberland County Democratic Party will meet:
- Thursday, October 19
- Northumberland Public Library, 7204 Nothumberland Highway, Heathsville, VA
- 7:00 PM — bring a snack to share at 6:30
Our guest speaker is Edwin Santana, Candidate for the Democratic Nomination for US Congress, First Congressional District. Please come and hear Edwin’s message. Edwin is one of four candidates vying for the 2018 Democratic nomination.
Future candidates currently scheduled are:
- Vangie Williams on Thursday, November 15, and,
- Ryan Sawyer on Thursday, January 18, 2018
Also, at this meeting, plans for election day and pre-election day work for November 7, 2017, General Election will be discussed.